S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Sunny, Saturday

Another gorgeous day at Velcro!

This morning we headed off to the Farmer's Market and bought a whole bunch of healthy stuff. You know - a bag of oranges, homemade cheese, vegetables, local honey, some bread, etc. It's always fun to shop at places like that, fun and usually cheaper. Nothing we have come across as yet matches the place in Gulfport for price though, but this one is quite nice.

I am really enjoying watching the solar and wind systems charging up the batteries like they are supposed to. I know I already mentioned that in yesterday's post, but please bear with me. After nearly a year of wondering why it didn't do what it was supposed to finding out that it was as simple a matter as making sure that there was enough air circulation was an extremely pleasant surprise., and one that I am really happy about watching in action. Sure we run the engine daily for about an hour, but that's mostly to heat up the water. The extra amps being put into the batteries is merely an added bonus.

It's rather pleasant lying on the deck in my bathing suit soaking up the rays, or it would be if the silence wasn't occasionally punctuated by a child's voice emanating from one of the boats passing by, "Look, Daddy. Look! There's something lying on that boat. Is it alive? What is it? It looks like a big dead fish." Followed almost immediately by a parent's voice trying to simultaneously hush their child and get someone to fetch their camera. Fortunately this only happens sporadically and I have learned to move over to the side of the boat away from traffic although this will sometime scare housewives in the condos on the shore. Ah well. We have to protect the innocent, don't we?

Other than that everything has been pretty lazy today. Tomorrow, I plan to get started on the boat project list. From our cruise to-date we have quite a list to accomplish and some of them don't need to wait until we get back to Halifax.

Tomorrow.

Comments