S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back at the Osprey Marina!

Well!

This weather wait out was a bit of a non event, wasn't it? A few drops of rain, no wind and the welcome mat rolled out to bugs. The best part of it was getting to socialize with Al and Jen. Last night we had a BBQ aboard Close Knit with burgers and blue cheese - yummy. Afterward Jen gave me three orgasms, count 'em, three! What a hostess! Hmmmm? No, Barb didn't mind. She was sitting right there and she got one too. Even Al got a couple and I don't mean our cat. Of course I should add that I'm talking about a shooter concoction that Jen makes up and not the other kind. Did I have any of you wondering?

We were away at 06h45 with help from the crew of Close Knit to clear the dock and with a storm surge to give us an additional two feet of water from what we had when we came in two days ago. Leaving Georgetown area, heading north at just high tide gives you the tidal current all the way north for the first day, which was pretty neat considering usually at least 50% of the time we are normally banging our heads against a current. I was a lonely day though. All day we only saw one tug two trawlers and one sailboat heading the other way. It was also our first time to experience near gale force winds while underway in the ICW. That was exciting I can tell you. Getting whacked abeam by 40 knot winds, heeling over and no place to turn as the boat tries to round up.

Although Skipper Boob's book doesn't show any dog friendly places it does show numerous anchorages back inside the many ox bows along this part of the ICW. From there it would be a short dingy ride to one of the boat launch ramps that dot the waterway along here so perhaps next time we won't be so hesitant to plan to drop the hook.

We arrived at the Osprey and decided against going further since there is no rush with the Gebbias going to be occupied with the Great Circle Trawler meeting in Barefoot Landing until Tuesday night so we have decided to poke along slowly. I would rather like to go to the meeting as well but this is one of those things that you need to get tickets for well in advance. There is no space any closer anyway. In fact when we stopped at Osprey it would appear that we go the last of their free spaces as some of the attendees had to stay this far out, too. Stopping at the Osprey is a no brainer since the rates are very reasonable and the facilities brand new and very nice - $1/ft for days 1, 2, and 3 and then the price goes down to $0.25/ft for days 4-30! Most reasonable!

OF course almost as soon as we stopped and registered the rain disappeared and the sun came out. There was still a fair amount of wind but here in the marina we are pretty well sheltered.

Comments