S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Getting ready for the flush procedure

Yesterday was a sort of non-day as far as getting much done other than arriving at Carolina Beach, meeting Jim Beam (the individual, not the Bourbon) and getting lots of rest. It's funny how once you get a chance to not do anything in this lifestyle just how much it turns out that you need to get some shuteye.

Another thing happened yesterday evening that brought something home to me. Barb and I had just finished a BBQ diner after the snoozy day that we had just passed when all of a sudden and literally out of the blue, although there had been some gathering clouds that we had not paid much attention to since we were at the dock and chowing down, the wind generator started to wind up to its maximum and Nelleke began to rock ad sway at the dock lines. The storm clouds had been a prelude to a squall front coming through and it was a goodie. We were perfectly safe although I did put the brake on the wind generator plus we quickly threw another dock line or two on the cleats. It was amazing to watch the mini rollers come in the basin where we were staying, but was most thought provoking was the realization that most of the folks dirt side weren't even conscious of the passing of the squall. Unless you have chosen the cruising lifestyle the weather really isn't a big deal unless it rains out your golf game or the baseball game that you had tickets to. Literally within an hour the water was back to glass. And then, at around midnight another, albeit less forceful squall front came through. Ain't nature grand?

I was also able to figure out what the problem was with the speakers for the ships computer. They hadn't been working for a couple of weeks, indeed the computer didn't even see them when it booted up. Amazing how much better things work when they are plugged in, isn't it?

Today the kind Mr. Beam took me for a drive to an auto parts store where I was able to buy a replacement radiator cap for Paula Perkins. By accident I had discovered that there was no seal on the cap and in fact time and corrosion had removed many of the key working parts. So, for a mere $8 that has been replaced and that might have something to do with the heating problem as well as the loss of coolant. We'll see. Mr Beam has also allowed us to run an electric cord from his house in the next lot over to Nelleke to help us keep the batteries charged in readiness for the flush operation tomorrow and he has also allow us to top up the water tank from his outdoor faucet. Very obliging since we had only just met.

Everything else is in readiness as much as we can make it for the flush operation tomorrow. All I need is to get something like a cheap thru-hull to tap into the bottom of the bucket that I bought and to see Joey's 12V pump so I can get the measurements and the hose size to go from the bucket to the pump and to the coolant circuit. I can't wait. If this doesn't work, the only other thing that I can think might be my problem is that there is something wrong with the transmission which is something that I would prefer not to think about.

Our friends Joey and Rhonda have returned from the seminar that they attended to prepare them for the Great Circle cruise that they are planning and Joey brought over his pump for measurements and he took me out to but the remaining parts necessary for the flush.

Tomorrow's the day!

Comments