S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Making plans

Deltaville, VA

16 May 2010

Making plans

37 33.384' N:76 19.075' W

Today was one of making plans and arrangements. We are deciding what we want the marina to do while the boat is up on the hard and what we will be taking home with us. We are also trying to arrange for a vehicle to take back to Canada for drop off. I am very surprised that there is a problem with taking vehicles across the border since we have seen so many rentals and U-Hauls with American plates on them at home. Luckily our friends Dianne and Cliff have been helping us out with the telephone calls. It now looks like we'll be able to drop in and see them on the way through so there is a little bit of good in everything.

This marina seems to be exactly the sort of place that we needed to find. The haul, clean and launch will cost is something in the order of $300 and storage will be about $150/month, plus they have a monthly deal to maintain the boat including plugging in the boat to charge up the batteries for about $20, all of which is both economical and good to the insurance company's ears.

We are looking at some of the trawlers that they have for sale here as a sort of educational process and we are considering letting them list Nelleke while she is on the hard, if they think that they can get the right price. I am continually surprised at some of the prices that we are finding down here. Everything ranging from 40' boats asking $69K to 60' for $110K!

Comments