S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Boxing Day, or perhaps more appropriately – The Day After!

Gasp! Wheeze! Pant! Groan!

I have figured it out again as I do every year, the only thing wrong with Christmas is excess - excess of spending, excess of eating, excess of drinking....... Of course it is all fun as it's going on, but the next day?....... Gasp! Wheeze! Pant! Groan! We all promise that we'll diet or spend some extra quality time in the gym, but then never do, and , of course, we forget it all again next year.

Ah, but it was fun. It was wonderful to get to spend some quality time with Kayt even if it was being herded around like an aging ox. It was outstanding to see the look on Barb's face when she received her gifts (she even had a small weep when she got the spa certificate). And it was great to have friends over to share Christmas dinner. Not only for their company but also with their help we won't have any of the dreaded turkey leftovers to plough our way through.

We got up far to early this morning to take Kayt off to meet her ride back to Saint John at 0630. Unfortunately she couldn't stay any longer, but as empty nesters we need to take the visits as we can. When she arrives she will go straight to her boyfriends parents house for her second Christmas with a new flurry of gifts and more feasting. Fortunately she is slim so she can handle a few stuffings. If it was me they would soon be having problems getting through the door to leave.

Today, after a wee bit of R&R we went out to the movies and Barb spent one of her gifts to let us watch the most recent Narnia movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Barb and I are both fans of CS Lewis and enjoy the movies as well. We have then in our DVD collection especially to show to smaller audiences when we have visitors. Speaking of which, I think that following the advice from Silverheels II we will be buying one of those mobile disk drives to store our movies on. You can 1.5 terrabytes for about $130 which will connect and be powered from the computer by one of the USB ports. The idea of selecting a movie from a menu and running it from the HD and not worrying if there will be a problem half way through the film with dirt or a smudge on the surface is very attractive. We are looking at Dr. DVD as a the software to copy the DVD to the HD. Anyone got good words to say about it? I am particularly curious if it will handle BluRay DVDs.

Comments