S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

N - 34: Looking at houses......

...... but not for us. Our daughter is looking at moving back to Halifax and has asked us to make the first pass on places to live that she finds in the ads. It has made me think though. Sooner or later, we too will swallow the anchor and move back ashore, more or less permanently. What is likely to make us do that, I wonder. The events of last spring have shown me that personal well being is one likely factor. In fact that is the reason that we retired early so that we would still have a number of hears of what we hope will be reasonably robust good health to be able to cruise for what we hope will be some time. Of course yours truly, having had a career that required a fairly high level of physical fitness and thinking that he was going to be superman and healthy forever was the first to succumb to something in the kidney stones last spring. Barb, with her bad knees and arthritis just keeps trucking along. Funny that!

She, and by that I mean Barb, has begun the packing. I came home from work to find that much of the loose boat stuff has found its way into a cardboard box, ready for loading into the trailer that we plan to rent. We, and by that I once again mean Barb, have begun to plan for way we are going to put into storage from the apartment and what we are taking back to Nelleke. In fairness most of the triage is being done on Barb's stuff since very little of mine came back when we returned. My turn for the possession surgery will come when we get back to Deltaville.

I am more than halfway done loading films onto the hard drive that we bought. This is a great idea that we were steered onto by our friends Lynn and Ken from Silverheels III. The detailed quality of the picture has theoretically been reduced but, frankly, I can't tell the difference; and I am not the sort to want to count the freckles on the heaving bosom so if that level of fidelity is lost, who cares? By the time we get back to the boat everything but the BluRay DVDs will have been loaded. Those will have to wait for the reinstall of the boat's computer which has the BluRay drive.

Hurrah! The ad for the apartment is on the internet. I wrote out the bare bones and Barb put the polish on it. It went out at about two in the afternoon and by quarter after we were getting responses so perhaps we will be getting the place rented out easily after all. The rent is reasonable by local standards and it is well situated for access routes and shopping etc. We had two viewings by the time that I wrote this out tonight and we sent out the application to one other interested party who was considering applying to rent sight unseen from as far away as Alberta. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comments