S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

N – 28: House Hunting and more proof of Global Warming

This morning when I took Peri for his morning ablution after we had dropped Barb off to work, I thought that I would treat him to a stroll around the Dingle. For those of you who may never have been to Halifax and have no idea what the Dingle is, one of the Canadian Fathers of Confederation is Sir Sanford Flemming who also engineered the trans Canada Railway line and to all intents and purposes invented the concept of Standard Time had his estate there and in memoriam someone came up with the idea of turning it into a public park complete with a really splendid limestone tower of over 200' in height. The tower doesn't do anything. It isn't a lookout, it isn't a lighthouse, it is simply a memorial. Well, around the park is a nice pea gravel walk at about 2' above the sea level at high tide, in fact, at one point there is a small public dock that to get to you had to walk down a short ramp. Well, today that walk was under about a foot of water! I grant you that on those odd occasions that we are blessed with a hurricane, the water can get that high if the 'cane passes over at high tide and we get caught by the storm surge, but today there was no storm and no surge. There was simply an extremely high tide and it is by no means the first that I have noticed, just the most obvious. You know, over the last couple of years there has been quite a debate as to whether or not there really is the phenomenon of global warming with a number of high profile self appointed pundits making some very good money by publically professing their state of denial. One of the most vocal is Glen Beck, someone that I have made no secret of the fact that I hold him in extreme contempt both for his debating tactics and for the fact that it is so transparently obvious that his scientific opinions are so coloured by his political prejudices and his desire to sell both his speaking tours, his rallies and his books. But in fairness he isn't the only one. There are a lot of so called scientists that have made the same statement, "There is no such thing as Global Warming!" I wonder if these guys have used those technical innovations the thermometer and the window before they open their mouths in public. I notice that the odd time that I can't escape Mr Beck on the tube that he no longer mentions Global Warming as a topic that he wishes to discuss. Funny. I can't understand how he retains any credibility with any of the public unless it is with die-hard fans with selective memories.

All right. Enough of that particular rant....

Kayt and her partner have been down in Halifax since last night and are spending a very wet and snowy day driving about looking at houses for when he gets posted back to Halifax. I have now seen three of the ones that they are looking at and I must say that I am really glad that we are no longer in the housing market. Everything is so damn expensive in particular when you look at what you get. To get something within our current budget, I think that we would have to be living well outside not only the city but also the county.

Comments