S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Still in Saint John. Ready to set off tomorrow

Woke up this morning after an inch of snow. Saint John is a much improved city at least from what it used to be - a sea port mill town that really was pretty rough in all aspects. Nowadays a succession of city councils have made it their aim to beautify the place and bring it up to 21st century standards. They have largely succeeded. Where they are stilll out of touch is that they are prepared to spend million on new city hall or police station or market square or games complex, they don't have enough money to clear the city streets or sidewalks of snow nor to maintain the roads with the result that the sidewalks are ice covered and the roads ate full of potholes. I guess it's a trade off that the population is prepared to accept.

Today we went into a photo studio and had photos taken of all five of us in various combinations of groups and poses. It was good fun and I am looking forward to getting copies of the photos. The phoographer was Kelly Lawson a friend of Kayt's who is building up a reputation as a photographer in Thai part of the world.

Tomorrow AM we set off on the next stage of our trip. Kevin told us about a place we should check out for a cell phone thatver get to as soonas we cross the border I'm Calis. It is right on the track to it'll save us a few minutes of travel time. Our friend Bob got us the name of a pet friendly motel in Lexington Mass where we will be stopping for the night. Tuesday I am hoping that we can get well beyond NYC and be in a position to get to the customs house in Baltimore during the workday on Wednesday. That will let us get to Deltaville on Thursday and launch Nelleke on Friday.

That's the plan. Let's see what happens.

Comments