S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another week down range…..

Here we are, Saturday again, and although we have made progress in preparations we are definitely behind our schedule. Then I say to myself, "Self, you're cruising! There are no schedules. Every time that you have tried to maintain a schedule you have gotten yourself into trouble!" So, the schedule has just gone out the window. We will do what we can, when we can and however we can and then we'll set off. Is that profound or what?

This morning we toddled off to the laundromat again and got a big surprise when we arrived. Today was the day for the Daffodil Parade and it started in the parking lot right beside where we were doing our laundry. If we haven't mentioned it before, the daffs grow wild here in yards, in the fields, in the woods, etc. It's almost as if a breeding pair escaped and made flora whoopie wherever and whenever they could. The photo on the blog today is from the parade and there is a whole sub album dedicated to it in the Photo Gallery. The manager of the laundromat was great company telling us about every float and who they were and where they came from. It wasn't like a Macy's Christmas Parade or a Rose Bowl but it was a lot of fun and we had better enjoy it as the parking lot was blocked by the parade and we weren't able to leave until it was over. Many of the participants were handing out candies and Juanita the manger was always running out into the street to get a handful and give them to Barb.

When we got back to the boat we had a surprise. Changing Lanes was still there. They hadn't left as planned. Apparently we showed them too go a time yesterday evening with Barb's rockin' dinner and lots of rum and wine. So they decided to stay today and tomorrow too since it is going to snow tomorrow. That's right - SNOW! The dreaded s-word! In Virginia at the end of March. The locals are all shocked and are blaming us in good humour. At any rate, we will be able to enjoy their company for a couple more evenings before the set off and they have to wait for Monday for the next marina over to open so they can buy some diesel.

During the PM, I set to work with Barb's help to hook up the ships computer. In the end it turns out that we will have to buy a couple of USB extension cables and a monitor extension cable to get everything finally connected and working. Sigh! I was hoping to cross that sucker off my to-do list.

Comments