S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Quelle surprise – it rained last night

We woke this morning to wet decks and a flooded boat yard. While we were all buttoned up we could hear the rain but the sound of the electric heater drowned most of it out so it came as a bit of a surprise when I took Peri out for his morning walk that we had some challenges finding some dry areas, or at least ones that were not flooded. Poor little hound really doesn’t like to get his feet wet unless he is chasing birds.

We have received one response to our post yesterday offering to give away the fuel and oil filters and the raw water impeller repair kits that we have aboard from our old engine. Unfortunately they were asking for something that we weren’t able to provide – parts off the engine itself. We still have the maintenance materials if anyone wants them. If we have no takers we will just hand them over to the marina which we don’t really mind doing as they have been very good to us. They tell us that they plan to try to rebuild the old Perkins if it is economically reasonable to do it and sell it as a used engine, so if anyone is looking for a used 4.236 65hp Perkins, or if you want to offer to buy some of the parts you might want to contact the Deltaville Yachting Center. Ask to speak to Lew.

Today was, frankly, miserable. Totally wet drizzle and cold temperatures were paramount throughout the day and the guys were on the boat working on the instrumentation. After pretty much the whole day it turned out that the sending unit didn’t match the gauges that they were trying to install which explained the odd impedances that they were getting at the binnacle when they were checking. When they found that out they simply looked at me and said, “You haven’t seen us here today. This didn’t happen.” From which I deduce that they were not going to charge me for what they did aboard today. Considering the gauges were only one of the things that they were working on, I thought that was pretty descent. We have been having a lot of problems with the existing wiring harness that came with the old engine – bad grounds, leaking voltage, stray current – so at my urging we have decided that the best thing to do would be to simply say nuts to the old wiring and run some new wires in for the instruments. The ignition circuit works fine. So Barb and I ran the three new wires in to be prepared for them when they come in tomorrow morning.

Barb went to check out the village gift shops but wouldn’t you know it? They were almost all closed today. I, in turn, went to the hardware store and bought some wood oil and a squirt bottle to apply it. I was looking at the floors last night and they were obviously in sad need of a re-oiling.

Tonight it is Barb’s turn to cook and she is working some miracle with two pork chops, potatoes and onions in the oven and steamed broccoli. Can’t wait!

Comments