S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Another deliciously warm day….

……in spite of what the weather witches told us. According to them we were supposed to have thunder and lightning last night and rain all day today, but I guess we dodged that puppy and here we sit in wonderful sunshine and warm temperatures.

The one sort of paint that we didn’t have on the boat was metal paint and we wanted to sand the rust off the Danforth and paint it up all nice so that it would not disgrace the railing astern. So, off I walked to the hardware store to pick some up and now we are good to go with that. Barb promises to do that as one of her self assigned chores while I am off returning the car to Halifax.

We installed the deck fitting for the chain pipe this morning and ran the anchor line back astern and put it in its new home, so that job is done less the painting of the anchor itself, but that is relatively small and in a pinch we could deploy it unpainted. The bottom line is that we now have 250” anchor rode astern with the Danforth as our tertiary piece of ground tackle.

Barb also finished off the install of the splash cloths and installed the last one on the port rail so that too is one more job completed and struck off the list. She has set up a projects folder in the photo gallery so you can go out there and look.

The other major boat job today was tidying it up and making some space for Mary Lou and Jay to have somewhere to lay their heads when they come to visit tomorrow. Mostly that involved the putting away of tools but it also included finding some place to stow the pieces of the as yet unfinished projects that were living on the V-berth and are now in one of the bunks in the middle cabin.

I guess that the most traumatic chore of the day, at least to Peri, was his haircut. Neither he nor Barb enjoy this but it must be done. I do what I can with scissors to minimize the use of clippers and try to get Barb to hang on to the wee fellow as strongly as she can, but still it takes longer and is more stressful that it need be, I think.

Tonight Lew and Onna are treating us to a dinner somewhere. They are also taking another couple so we are looking forward to meeting them too. We are very interested in seeing where they choose to take us. Speculation runs from some places that we have seen in some of the other surrounding communities to Onna cooking something and bringing it in. Considering how good her chilli was at the seminar that they put on here at the marina I wouldn’t mind either case.

Comments