S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Still in Port Jefferson

We are still at Port Jeff although we did try to leave. We called across to some of the marinas on the CT side of the sound and were told that the smart move would be to stay here. There was zero vis and steadily increasing winds an high probability of T storms. So we turned around and headed back only this time we went into the head of the Harbour and picked up a mooring at the Setauket YC. $50! But there was a launch, showers etc and I have more faith in one of these moorings than I do in the ones in at Mt. Misery Point (a clerk at a local shop called it Pirate Cove). They are probably ok too but you never know and if it is going to blow I want all assurances possible.

We walked into town or the village as they call it to get bread milk and cream as well as check out some of the stores. Off season is a great time to be buying stuff in these places. For example Barb got two high end t shirts for $20 the pair and I got a new windbreaker for $32.

The bakery (La Bonne Boulangerie) where we bought some really nice bread also provided a chicken pot pie for dinner.

Tomorrow we plan to head our as early as possible to get to Fishers Island to meet our pal Jim who will be bringing his boat over to spend the night. It'll be great to see him again. Those of you who have been following the blog since the beginning might remember Jim as the fellow who was our host when we stayed at Groton on the first trip. He has remained in contact since and we have seen him again in New London on the way North during the first trip.

From Barb - I have been suffering some severe sticker shock these last few days - I had forgotten exactly how high the prices are per foot at marinas in this area - upwards to $6.50 per foot plus $35 per day for 30 amp power. The mooring ball we are hanging on is no exception at $50 per night but it comes with launch service, wifi and showers. Good thing we anchor out often and we have been lucky to find free moorings as well. A pleasant surprise is that the Newport Marina is still in its off-season rates and we can stay along side for $1 per foot - all in. Great showers, laundry, wifi, and a short walk to two grocery stores and shops.
For our stay in Boston I was able to find a $45 per night mooring with full services right downtown - I thought it would cost a lot more given range the services that are available - it will be a convenient place to stay to reprovision for our crossing to NS and while we wait for Mike Murray's arrival.

Comments