S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Mother's Day in Newport

We awoke today and toddled off to the Seaman's Church Institute to have breakfast and do the laundry only to discover that they are still on winter hours and the cafe there doesn't open during the weekends. We were still able to do the laundry and instead went across the street to a different place to have a forgettable breakfast of eggs and sausage rounds. Oh well, we'll try again before we go. we want to buy one of their coffee mugs anyway.

A look at the long term weather forecast tells me that we'll be here until Thursday at least as there are gale warnings out for Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay and Massachusetts Bay until then. Fortunately there are winter rates here at the Newport Yachting Centre so it will be relatively inexpensive to hang out until the weather breaks our way. It'll give us a chance to get a few more boat jobs done in the meanwhile including getting the local Yanmar dealer to have a look at Yoki. Nothing wrong, there are just a couple of questions that I'd like to ask of a mechanic who is familiar with the engine and some spare parts that I'd like to buy for her. Speaking of spare parts, for a city whose fame revolves around the boating industry it is remarkable that there are no boat supply stores within walking distance of the docks here. Some of the non engine related stuff that I want I will have to order from Jamestown and have them deliver. Fortunately that is a regular thing that they do so we should have the bits and pieces very soon. The only worrisome thing about the delay is our friend Mike who is coming down on May 15th to join us for the trip back. If we can get out of here on Friday we might still get to Boston in time to meet him. If not he will have to catch the bus from Boston to Newport. We have done the research and discovered that there is a regular service which with his flight schedule would have him here by 2230. we could meet him at the bus station which is an easy walk from the dock where we are staying and have a late dinner or at least some cocktails and hors d's with him.

Meanwhile we treated ourselves to a day in town and Barb got the shopping bug fed and watered with a spree in Yankee Candle and a couple of other places and together we took in Thames Road. There is also a really nice old fashioned movie theatre that we visited twice the last time that we were here. Maybe we'll go again.

Tonight I am taking Barb out for Mother's Day to an Italian restaurant that we have not patronized as yet. I'm doing this on behalf of not only myself but also our kids who for obvious reasons can't be with her themselves. I'll let you know how that went in tomorrow's post.

Comments