S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A decision has been made

If I come across as a little terse, it is because this is the third time that I have tried to enter today's post. Once the webserver decided that I had used up 48 hours of allotted time and the second time Firefox decided to be "helpful" and offer to restore its previous session, whatever that was!

Today when we got up we did so with every intention of puttering over to the fuel dock and filling up and pumping out. Every intention that is until we heard the weather report. The winds today were going to be slightly less, for that read that it was small craft warning vice gale warning, but the wind was going to be directly on our nose heading up Buzzard's Bay. It would not have been fun, particularly for Barb's knees, so we have decided to hang out here until our crewman Mike arrives on Sunday. It means an hour and a half bus ride for him, but in the long run I think that it'll be safer and more comfortable for everyone in the long run.

As I type this the wind is blowing gustily out of the NE at 25+ knots and we are snug in our cabin and Nelleke is rolling slightly to her docklines.

Today we took a walk over to Goat Island which we can see from the marina but which we had never visited before. The walk takes you pack a shipyard where they work on the mega yachts including a 100' ocean racing sailboat with at least a 25' stiletto fin keel that looked like it was doing 20 knots even on the hard. The island has a large hotel complex and a large marina that seems to cater to Trumpy Yachts and then you run smack into the security guards at the gate to the private community that makes up most of the island.

Barb did some shopping for souvenirs and I fussed around with the on board computer and got the GPS antenna to work with it again. This means that we can now run the Captn charting software while we are underway so that the off watch crew will know where we are without having to come on deck. Tomorrow I will try to get the satphone connected again so we can get our personalized weather forecasts form Clearpoint and not have to rely on a general website. In the past Clearpoint has been invaluable to our cruising planning process.

Barb has fixed up the middle cabin for Mike when he arrives. He won't get here until 2200 on Sunday night so I expect that he'll be tired but we plan to give him a light supper and as many cocktails as he'd like to consume.

Comments