S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Busy couple of days

The last couple of days have been really busy starting with the close on the house in Shelburne followed by a couple of days of stripping out old carpet and trying to figure out where and how I was going to run new wall outlets. So far we are really happy with out acquisition and in Shelburne as a community. Yesterday was Canada Day so everything was closed but still there was a real party going on down the road in Lockport and we got a lot of work done in treating out the old carpets. Having been in the house it also gave us the opportunity to revisit our original plans and revise them accordingly. So instead of only living in the bottom half of the house as originally planned we are now looking at fully occupying the joint. To that end we have purchased a couple of new beds for the extra bedrooms and we will be looking for dressers and cupboards to do the rest. Once denuded if crappy carpet most of the floors were in great shape with either maple or cedar hardwood flooring. Why people went through the phase of putting in wall to wall carpeting over perfectly good hardwood has always completely escaped me. There were a couple of spots where I will have to make repairs including one spot in the middle of the livingroom where the flooring had all been torn up I think to put a new furnace into the basement. Clearly the place had multiple chimneys at one time for cooking and heating and there was also what might have been a maid's room with a back stairway.

We have met the two tennants and they are quite nice and reliable except for the older gent who will be moving into a senior's home as soon as there is a space for him. So, if there is anyone out there who is looking for a small 2 BR flat in Shelburne give us a call.

We are back in Halifax to get the furniture loaded and sent down to the new house. Barb bought the beds - one queen and a couple of single bed as well as several new pillows. We also were goosing the businesses that we bought the appliances from as well a the hide-a-bed to get them to make the deliveries.

I am quite getting to like setting up this place. But Barb and I are also making the plans for the next cruise.

Comments