S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Madly renovating and madly planning

Back at the hacienda again and into the renovations once more. Still a lot to be done but the place is becoming more livable as empty cardboard boxes are being folded up and put out for the trash. Pretty much all of the crappy old carpet is up and carted off to landfill or wherever and I am finishing off the floors where necessary. We will be taking a break starting today in order that we can enjoy the company of daughter Kayt and her boyfriend and his two sons and son Chris. That's one more great thing about this house - it's big enough with loads of room to be able to have a mob like that visiting without any strain.

As I mentioned in the last post the shaft and transmission coupling are in to the Lunenburg Foundry to be fixed up. There will be a new aft portion of the coupling that is split to facilitate putting on the shaft and which will eliminate the need for the 90 degree spuds that are supposed to hold the shaft in place during reverse. I expect the whole job will cost around $500 but we will be able have confidence in the prop and shaft to not pull out and an inopportune time in the middle of the Atlantic or Gulf of Maine. We will be heading back to Halifax on Wednesday to tell her that we love her and do a couple more little jobs before coming back to Shelburne.

This weekend there is a festival at Shag Harbour commemorating a UFO incident that took place there back in the early 70s, I think. It is Canada's Roswell complete with government witnesses subsequently denying their original testimony, cover up, and all the subsequent hoo-ha. It could be fun.

Comments