S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

I want to believe.....

...doo-dee-doo-deee..do-deeee-do

This morning I got up early and threw another coat of varethane on the dining room floor, deciding that it would need a third coat in the process, and then Barb and I headed out to Shag Harbour for their Shag Harbour Incident festival. Check out their website at Shag Harbour. For any of you who might not be aware, in 1967 three students were first witnesses to several glowing lights crossing the sky before plunging into the ocean about 500m offshore. They thought that it was an aircraft in distress and they immediately called the police and several local citizens who all came out to witness the lights on the surface of the water for several minutes before they sank from sight. By this point everyone though that it was a rescue mission and the Coast Guard Auxiliary was called out to the sight but all they could find was a 1 km long streak of yellow foam. Subsequent naval diving etc produced no official wreckage or survivors although several witnesses claimed that they saw the navy bring something aboard. There were no reported civilian nor military aircraft missing so it became a UFO incident. To this date the whole thing remains classified as far as the military and police are concerned but in spite of that it remained the only government documented UFO siting anywhere.

The visit was interesting as I had never been to Shag Harbour before, although I had read several books about the incident, so it was neat to actually see the place where it occurred. The village itself is still a sleepy little place with carefully and exquisitely maintained properties with one tiny little museum about an extraterrestrial visit in its midst.

On the way home we passed through Barrington Passage where we bough a couple more pieces of furniture for the house and I got some more stuff for the restoration projects that I am working on.

We also had a look at a 27' motor home that is offered at a house just up the block which might be the answer to what we are looking at for our trips to and from the boat when we get it to Virginia and to visit my parents in Ottawa and the kids in Saint John and Kingston. Now we just have to make up our minds if that is something that we want to do.

Comments