S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A Quick Post to Take a Break from Remodeling

I haven’t been posting too much over the last week as there isn’t too much new to report. The home renovating continues and as we are now into paining the rooms things are beginning, s-s-lo-o-o-o-o-owly to start to appear as if things are being completed and we are settling in. There is still no concrete news about Barb’s knee surgery but we have been told that the surgeon makes his list up on 20 November so we will be calling then to see if there are any developments. I have finished my list of homemade Christmas goodies that we will wrap up to take with us on our trip at the end of the month. Barb is madly knitting in front of the TV each night to finish off hers.

I still have numerous cabinetry projects out in the workshop but they have been put briefly on hold while I repair one of my power tools. This morning I wasn’t watching and accidentally dropped the router table onto the floor and, wouldn’tcha know it? It landed on the plastic safety guard and broke off two little plastic pins that hold it in place and allow it to rotate up and down as the wood passes through. This necessitated a trip to the hardware store for some KrazyGlue to fix it. At the same time we find out that the base paint that we have been using on the large surface areas downstairs is sold out and the store is changing suppliers so they are not going to replace the product. How convenient! Now we are looking for other distributors of the same paint somewhere close so we can get a couple more gallons. We have been very used to Cruising Sailboat Gotcha Rules and now we are learning about the Home Renovation versions. Life is one big education.

We will be making what will hopefully be our last pre-Christmas jaunt into Halifax on Monday. Our objective is to do a little Christmas shopping and the final few things that I need to do on Nelleke and pick up a couple more things from her that we would like to have in Shelburne. One of the byproducts of having a pied-a-terre as we do is, and planning for seven month cruises followed by five months in Shelburne is that there will be a lot less “stuff” squirreled away aboard when we are travelling. We will depart on our next cruise much closer to our design waterline and we should have a storage spot for pretty much everything so there will be less flat-surface-itis, or at least the symptoms of it.

Comments