S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Cabinet Installation Day

The delivery of the cabinets occurred this AM and the carpenters are here - I will say they are very patient as they work around the challenges of this old house with her slightly crooked ceiling and her floor that is not level and her inside corners that are not quite 90 degrees. The carpenters got right down to the job and have worked straight through. It is now two PM and they are just about finished. We have to order two replacement pieces as they were slightly damaged in transit - one door and one piece that goes in front of the sink above its cupboard doors. So, when they are finished what do we have left to do? Install the worktop, buy and install the new sink and faucet, plumb the dishwasher, have the electrician back to hook up the dishwasher and range hood, prime and paint the exposed areas of new gyprock, pick out and install the backsplash, re-trim the windows, apply the baseboard and moldings, pick out and install the knobs and drawer pulls. And, oh, yeah, I have to reload all of the kitchen stuff back in the cabinets. We will still need to build the bookcase and the pantry cupboard.

I just read one of Mike's posts from a few days ago when he was bemoaning that we don't have a house spirit - he forgot two "events" that occurred since the beginning of the year for which I have no explanation. Both occurred in the kitchen before we started ripping it apart. Both were after dark but in the early evening. The first started with a loud band/thump against the south wall of the kitchen. It was followed up with just one water glass flying off the shelf, hitting the countertop before it ended up in the sink, unfortunately it broke upon landing. The second was a few days later also around the same time of day. Again there was the loud bang/thump on the south side of the house. This time an enameled jug that was my Mum's flew off the counter and hit the floor where it landed on its side and it was spinning around by the time I arrived in the kitchen - it continued to spin much longer than you would expect. Weird, eh?

I spent the morning finishing painting the trim in the downstairs bathroom - within earshot of the carpenters but not breathing down their necks. Tomorrow morning I will probably put up the wallpaper trim that I found and that will be about it other than painting the doors. That little room will be in good shape by the time I am off for my surgery.

Comments