S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

She's back!

She's back.....Hurrah!

At about 17h30 yesterday herself arrived somewhat stiff and desperately needing of a pee break delivered by daughter, stepson and dog. Quite the menagerie! I had the salmon en croute all ready to go afvter the obligatory flaggon of tea and we had a great evening. I made up the icing machine for her knee and the bead for her weary head, meanwhile the two dogs chased each other around the house and small child spread books and tous over the living room. Ahhhhhh! That feeling! I had forgotten what it was like to have small kids around. This little fellow is great...bright...friendly....polite. It's worth dodging the toys and books to have them around.

Barb is struggling to get a range of motion in her knee. This is a vital part of her recovery if she isn't to spend the rest of her life gimping around like Chester from Gunsmoke. The secret is to get, or force even, the knee to flex. She is going to change the bandage over the staples today and when she does so she has been told to put the new one on with the knee bent which should help her with the flex exercises. Her problem is that like so many ladies of her generation she has little upper body strength (who wants a woman with rippling abs, broad shoulders and buldging bisceps - or at least that was the thought process) and for the last 30 years or so has had little ability to flex her knees. She has always had a struggle to get up from a chair or from a prone position and now that she is down to one leg it is even worse. Once she gets the use back in that leg I think that I am going to bully her into building up some strength in the rest of her body too. In fact, once I find out that it isn't going to hurt her, I am going to help/bully her into the physio exercises. She is supposed to start physio down here in Shelburne sometime this week.

Number one daughter will be staying with us until Friday, I think. It's great that she will be here as it means that Barb will not be alone in the house while I am at work at least for that period of time. We will be going back to Halifax sometime in a couple of weeks for another consult with the surgeon and to take the staples out. Hopefully by then she will be moving about on her cane (I got her a good camoflage one) and the Doc will give her a good report.

Comments