S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Brrrrrr!

I guess it was too good to last; too good to be true. We have reverted to seasonal weather with a vengeance – sub-zero nights; at zero or below days; wondering if the precipitation forecast is going to be rain sleet or snow. Drat! Rats! Blast! And other rude words......

I am trying to take a note out of the playbook of some of the American municipalities along the Atlantic Seaboard. Those of you that have cruised the Atlantic coast of the USA may have noted that a number of the communities situated on the shore have built fishing piers extending from the beach out to deeper waters. As I have been given to understand it this was so that citizens who don’t own boats can get themselves and their fishing poles out to deeper water and the fish. Here in Shelburne the commercial wharf has been used by many for that purpose and with expanding business use that is going to be curtailed and I was thinking that a hundred and fifty foot pier extending out from an existing breakwater would do quite nicely, plus if properly constructed it would shelter the yacht club and provide some measure of storm protection for the historic waterfront area. I have a fellow in to look at the site and give me an estimate of the cost. Now I just need to convince the townspeople, the politicians and get the money. Sigh. Always something......

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Little Barb is still moving forward in her recuperation. Yesterday was the first time that she had the confidence to drive herself to physio clinic and she is moving, albeit slowly, with increasing confidence about the house and up and down the various staircases. Good on her!

Comments