S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Monday....Sigh

Monday again! Back at work  Oh well – payday on Wednesday.

Taxes are all done and in under the deadline. Looks like I will owe a wee bit but we have it set up so that next year they will be giving me a rebate and I will have some unused pension contributions that I can carry forward for when we are cruising so we can maximize our cash flow.

We have some new neighbours, which is sadly exciting. I mean sadly as when we were cruising we always had either no neighbours or constantly new ones so here we are excited that the folks that own the place beside us have decided to move back and live here. They showed up late yesterday afternoon and moved a few things in. Apparently today they will be heading out to another place that they own to pick up furniture to settle.

I am also perversely excited about the fact that we have gotten a start on the raised garden beds that I have been promising Barb. The bed is sort of like a square C lying on its side giving us 20 sq ft of garden that will hopefully be weed free if we keep on top of it. I have another triangular piece to build that will be a three dimensional herb garden. When we get back afloat our plan is to start up the garden when we get back to Shelburne every spring and have enough of most of our plantings harvested so that we can take them with us when we head on south again in the fall at least to get a start on things. Much of that will depend upon US Customs regulations at the time. We might wind up giving a lot of it away, but on the plus side at least we have enough local friends who would be able to put it to good use.

We are still waiting on the completion for the MoHo propane tank install. There are a couple of fittings that got broken removing the old one that we are waiting for. Nobody’s fault. They were 30 years old and pretty seized on so I would have been more surprised if nothing had broken getting the old one off. Once that little chore is done we will book some vacation time to head on in to Halifax to get Nelleke ready for launch. We have a number of tiddly little jobs to do on her that I would like to have her here so I can get at them in the evenings after work. One little job per evening and they will soon all be done.

Comments