S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

A Pot Party; Making a Bed; Planting Lillies

Oh it’s a fun filled weekend indeed.

Early Saturday morning we were off for a Pot Party. No, not the brain addled kind. Rather the ones where you take multiple plants, split them up and pop them into pots. The Garden Club, which seems to be spearheaded by the Millers, a nice couple originally from Ontario but who now live here, breeding lilies, each year, has a fund raiser whereat they sell off potted plants that are donated by the members. The pot party is the prelude to that where all the little shoots get dunked into their new temporary homes. I sure hope that folks like hostas because I think that we spit up and potted over 60 of them.

Back on the home front we have more or less finished the raised garden beds. All we are looking for now is the garden soil which I will have trucked in as soon as we get our next paycheque. In the meantime we have planted the six day lilies that we got from the Millers and marked out the spots where we will be planting the peach trees. Yep. Peach trees! Apparently the climate here is suitable to raise peach trees. But there’s no such thing as Global Warming.

We also are on the prowl for some wine grape vines. I want to replace the decorative vines along one of our borders with wine grapes and I am planning two different ways to do it. First, we will plant the root, but secondly I plan to cu way back the existing vine and use its root structure to graft the new vine onto. Then in, oh, five to six years, we will be harvesting grapes to make wine. Grapes, too, grow well here, but our biggest challenge will be to keep the birds and racoons off them once they are approaching ripeness, and if we want enough to use ourselves we have to punt them off.

Our friend Ian has stirred the curiosity pot about property boundaries and we were out with the tape measure, measuring off from the available survey points. The thing about old towns like this one is that houses built 100 to 250 years ago were built before they hammered in the steel markers so we have some of them overhanging the town streets, some of them were built a little skewed, and, indeed, some of the survey markers were not where they were supposed to be according to the deeds. Makes for interesting discussions with the neighbours. In our case it turns out that the fence down one side of our yard is positioned too far into the neighbours and on the other side it is too much into ours. What fun! Fortunately we are on good terms with both and we really don’t care, but our friend Ian has found that one of the back parkers is off by as much as five feet, so he wasn’t too happy. There is an old saying that good fences make good neighbours, so I guess a corollary would be that bad fences cause confusion.

Comments