S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Mid Week Hump

We have changed our minds about going to the boat this week. We need the MoHo to stay in and it won’t be until this weekend that we can get the new propane tank certified and filled and with this weather it appears that it would be raining all the time anyway. Depending upon when the MoHo is ready, we might head off for the weekend and the first couple of days next week. Barb has to be back for her physio on Tuesday but I rather think that would be all that we need. He weekend looks like good weather and Monday too. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Late breaking news! Looks like the truly viable option is this weekend and Monday, Tuesday, as after that it will rain again. Plus, if we don’t get ‘er launched by the 15th we will start to pay additional storage fees which I would like to avoid.

The docks are all in at the club in Shelburne and we got a rather pleasant surprise. Apparently the wait list for a dock wasn’t as long as we expected, what with folks electing to keep their boats near to their homes or selling it or moving away, so now we have a spot on a dock at an extremely reasonable price. This is especially great with Barb’s new knee as it will make things a whole lot easier for her to get on and off and do the necessaries to get Nelleke ready for immediate short term cruising.

Speaking of cruising, a couple of years ago our friend Bob from Ombre Rose pointed us at Active Captain but I‘m afraid that, other than creating a profile and registering for their regular e-mails, we haven’t really made much use of it. Now, being dirt bound, I have revisited the site and what a neat tool! I guess in the intervening years a number of other folk far more forward leaning that I was have been madly adding their posts to the site and there are a whole bunch of anchorages listed and comments added. This is sort of an on line Skipper Bob only more so. I have been doing my belated bit by adding some sites up here in Nova Scotia and will be adding more once we start exploring again, but in the meanwhile it is loads of fun following our routes and seeing what others thought about the spots that we had poked into. Apparently they send you free goodies after you have made certain levels of contributions to their site so I am looking forward to that too.

Once again allow me to toot the Shelburne trumpet. It has the third best natural harbour in the world, although I’m not totally sure how anyone comes up with that, and we are open for business. We would welcome any and all cruising yachts to come here to visit. It’s a great and comfortable place to clear customs when you are entering Canada from the US or the Caribbean and the and yacht club is not only welcoming but it also is in reasonable walking distance from most of the things that you would need: Napa Auto Supply, d’Eon Fishing Supply, Drug Store, Grocery Store and Liquor Store to name just a few, plus there are a couple of really excellent restaurants quite close by and as well a couple of pubs besides the one in the club itself. If you are theatrically inclined there is the Osprey Arts Centre just to the back of the yacht club as well.

Comments