S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Yea! Off for the first long weekend to get Nelleke ready

I am watching the global economic situation with some growing alarm. Yes, I have my military pension and that is better than nothing but it is a small one and we have been counting on my personal pension and Barb’s investments to bring us to a comfortable lifestyle, but these are all dependent upon money market funds and they are in jeopardy when the international markets are stressed. Perhaps we Canadians have been a little too smug and complacent as we sit here behind out perceived bulwarks of the controlled banking system and the various federal government checks and balances. We have been watching Europe implode and the US struggling under the ramifications of free reign capitalism and its outcomes, thinking that we were lucky and relatively untouchable. Well, I am beginning to realize that the operative word there is relatively. We retired early based on an assumption of a certain level of income which we may have to re-evaluate. Our combined private pension plans used to bring in about $1200/month which we made an informed decision to cut in half by buying the house here in Shelburne which covered the reduction in income by eliminating the cost of storage of our furniture while we were on the boat. It was approximately a financial wash while we have a capital investment and a home to come home to when our cruising days were finished. But now I am waiting to see if the remaining pension will still be enough. It probably will be. We will definitely have to curtail the amount of marina stops and restaurant meals we indulge ourselves in. With herself new knees it should be easier to get on and off the dink so that should be do-able. It’s just that it wasn’t something that we weren’t anticipating.

I really am bewildered by the situation in Europe. Just what do the Greeks, French, Spanish etc. expect will happen if they don’t have austerity programs. Oh I realize that there is the matter that the rest of the world has a vested interest in keeping those economies afloat since the big banks and other financial institutions have so much money invested in them, but I think that everyone is coming to realize that keeping them solvent is like treating an alcoholic by giving him more booze. At least in the US the capitalist system basically says that if a business or economy can’t survive, it perishes and something else takes its place. Unfortunately some European countries seem to want a western quality of life – car, owned home, colour TV etc. – but still want the social parachute. In Canada that seems to have worked but we have far less of a population to have to support with it. The media is the message and at this point it is that the Global Village seems to be crumbling.

On a happier note, the MoHo is ready to complete the trip to Halifax so we will be on our way tonight. Saturday, Sunday and Monday are looking good for weather so those three days should be sufficient to get Nelleke ready for a launch next Friday and return to Shelburne over the long weekend. Hurrah! Our pal Mike is interested in making the trip back with me so I won’t be by myself which will be very handy as there will be a few first trip issues that we will have to shake out, I’m sure. For example, I am anticipating anything from the anchor windlass to the radar needing work along the way, but at least we will be back to the water.

Comments