S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Sunday 7th July - Cape Negro

Sunday 7th July.

An incredibly calm night with clear bright starry skies. So much so that there was almost enough illumination to be able to ready on deck by the moon and stars. I got up a couple of times to check out how we were swinging with respect to the other boats and although we came close once or twice, we never were in any danger.

Next morning as we were setting off to take the ferocious wonderdog for his morning poop-ambulation we met Mr Lux ( I hope that his wife’s name is Dee) off the Bahama 40 who was asking us about places to cruise on their way south along the coast heading back home to Maine. A very nice gent on a beautiful boat! Then we took off to the north end of the island for Peri’s walk so that we could honestly say that we have been from one end of the islands to the other. The north end is supposed to be the site of a graveyard and when we came ashore it took us a while to realize that the graves we actually cairns or piles of rock. Not at all what we are used to in a graveyard. Very unusual, at least from my perspective.

Then we went back to Nelleke in time to see everyone, the Luxs and the fishing boat along with the 12 people aboard her pull up stakes and leave, their weekend over. We decided to do the same. I was hoping to fly the asymmetrical on the way home but, whouldn’tcha know it, as soon as I voiced the thought the wind came about to a close reach, not ideal conditions to try out a new sail. So out unfurled the number 4 jib and off we went. We passed Ladyhawke on the way into the harbour and began plans for a cruise next weekend.

After the cruise it became obvious that we need some evening chores done on the boat, not the least of which is to get the autohelm functioning again. Hopefully that will be possible before our next gunkhole.

Comments