S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Port Washington for a few days

Ok. Arrived just at noon. We were looking at leaving at 0300 but when I awoke at 0100 and downloaded another forecast and saw winds 20-25 gusting higher and from astern I decided that we could wait until first light before setting off and catch at least half of the tidal current.

After a little bit of screwing about, first to let a tug and barge out of the inlet and then immediately after to let the ferry out, we were away. With the wind and the current we were poppin' along at better than 7 knots for most of the morning. The current shifted at 0930 for a few minutes then back again - odd, but welcome.

Finally Trog's Neck Bridge hove into view and we slipped into Port Washington in time to catch the last mooring in the field. Hurrah! This place looks like a United Nations - three Canadian yachts including us, a New Zealander, an Italian, an Irish yacht plus, obviously, a whole bunch of Americans.

The place is also very convenient with marine supply, groceries, laundromat and apparently a farmers market tomorrow AM.

I have also come up with a possible temporary solution for the radio - our AIS has its own antenna and the lead almost comes as far as the radio. Before I do anything about buying more gear I will hook up the iCom to it and see if it works better.

There is a remarkable deal for boaters here in Port Washington. There are a number of town moorings that are free for the first two days that are managed by the local water taxi. If you use the taxi the fee is $8/pers round trip or you can pay for the mooring $25/day and the taxi is included unlimited usage. Now neat is that? The taxi will take you from boat to boat, to the town dock or to the Stop and Shop dock whichever you choose and runs from 0800-2200 daily.

Tomorrow there is a Farmer's Market right at the town dock that we are going to plus we will hit West Marine and the grocery store. Barb is also looking for a Starbucks fix. This upsets me as it would indicate that the coffee that I make her is inadequate.

Tonight will be laid back as Al and Heather are off to see one of their friends ashore for a stationary bed and a tub or shower. The one thing missing at the town docks are showers and laundromat.

Evening comes to the mooring field and we have met vocally another Canadian couple from Owen Sound who are leaving tomorrow to head through the East River. They need to be at the Bridge at 0800 to get slack tide at Hell's Gate tomorrow so if we leave in a couple of days it will be a couple of hours after that for us.

Peace. Calm. Looking forward to a quiet night. Ahh.

Comments