S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Good bye Cape May, hello Delaware

I am thumbing this to the blog from the channel in the Delaware Bay as we ride the tidal current up towards the C&D Canal. Another calm and relatively wind free day although the skies are cloudy and perhaps foretell of a change.

Last night was a secure, albeit bumpy, anchorage with light wind, current and powerboats all competing to see how high they could make us bounce. On the plus side we had nearly all of our chain out and with the sandy bottom it and the anchor hasn't been this clean in years. We will be blogging is sections during the day for the next while so if it seems a bit disjointed that would be the reason.

Our plans are to make the C&D Canal and go through to anchor in Bohemia Creek where we did the first time we came this way. Barb and I have already made a list of to-dos while we are at anchor in Annapolis.

Still trucking along. We have made contact again with Amazing Grace and Persuasion and they along with a number of other boats are dashing for the canal to make the current switch. I suspect a number of them are hoping for space at Chesapeake City and considering the limited resources feel that if they get there first they will have a better chance of a spot. We, and Moonlight Maid, prefer to continue past if we can and make for Bohemia Creek as I have said cut down the distance tomorrow. We think that Nomad and Sea Rose are already either all the way through or are waiting for the right moment to start the day.

We ran Yoki Yanmar at 2400 rpm for about 4 hours for the first time today and she performed beautifully. I am seriously happy with this little beast!

We arrived at Bohemia Creek at about 1630 and found a spot to anchor and take Peri ashore for his daily ablutions. We had to row a fair distance since Suki our little outboard was mistreated yesterday and I think that I flooded the carb. The reason for the distance was that the property adjacent to where we stopped was clearly and repeatedly marked Private Property so we had to truck on down to a non posted area. By the time we finished walking the hound there were 14 boats in the anchorage. We were preceded by Sea Rose and Nomad and after we arrived the other 11 boats puttered in and dropped their hooks. Sea Rose hosted the crews of several boats to another "Sundowner Evening" and included Peri in the invite. We were back aboard early in the evening and we are making plans for a departure tomorrow for Annapolis. It will be great to swing on the hook for a week or so to recharge.

It's raining a bit. Crap! Oh well. At least there will be less salt on the deck.

Comments