S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

In front of the USNA...

....and I can't express how glad I am that we are on a good solid mooring. Nelleke was rocking and rolling in the mooring field right up as far as 0500 before things began to settle down and indeed we were still threatening and overcast when the sun came up. As I thumb this portion of the posting mid mor ing we are looking at brisk winds from the NW and some intermittent sunlight with predominantly cloudy periods. The long range forecast is for very mild weather for the boat show with the final day calling for rain. We, however, should be long gone by then and across the Bay exploring.

The Dock Street area of this city regularly floods with high tides and wind from anywhere with south in it and as an example this morning most of the streets around the Dock Street circle were underwater. The Alex Haley memorial statue with the four children was awash and if we chose we could have ridden our dingy at one of the dingy docks right up onto the street as long as we hauled up the motor. But no one will admit to the possible existence of any aspect of global warming. It is just something that happens. Of course why it is happening and why whole island communities are disappearing under the encroaching waters of the Bay can't possibly have anything to do with man and the impact of industrialization has on the environment.

Our dinner on Moonlight Maid last night was delightful - great company, excellent food, and a new game - Trivial Pursuit for cruisers. You use the box of questions and alternate who gets to ask them, all questions on each card, and no one looks at the answers until a consensus is reached. All players are on the same team and the objective is to see how many of them you can get right. The best we could do last night was five out of six. Apparently a grand slam is quite rare.

Looks like the fate head isn't done with us yet as it backed up on us once more. I think that it was a mistake for me to try to reuse the old joker valve so I will be disassembling it today and checking that plus I will be running the snake through and see if I can get better success.

Comments