S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

On to Soloman's

Oh my! What a difference! We go from worrying about the anchor(s) holding to lighting bug candles. Last night there was no wind whatsoever and it's a good thing that we got the secondary anchor out or we may have wrapped its rode around the primary's.

We were in touch with Moonlight Maid last night and Alan texted us the anchor site coordinates that a friend of theirs has been sending to them for each of the sites along the route. The next one in the Solomon's is one that we have Ben into before. Apparently there is a much nicer spot just as you enter the harbour off to starboard but the shoreline is surrounded by private property and there would be nowhere to take Peri ashore. So, the obvious solution is in to the main harbour which is OK with us as we have been there before. The real curiosity rests with the Reedville anchorage since we haven't been there and it is well before the actual town itself. Our friends Barry and Marcia have told us about a ferry that leaves fro Reedville for an island community, Tangiers Island, I think it's called, on the other shore that is gradually sinking int the Bay. Since we can't get to Deltaville before Monday to Tuesday we will be spending a couple of days in each of the Soloman's and Deltaville so if the ferry is runing, and not too expensive, it might be worth a trip over.

And at he end of a great day, here we are at anchor in Solomon's Island harbour. Not he wind didn't allow for much if any sailing but it was a relatively calm trip across and we arrived at about 1400. Much different from the last time that we were here when we were worrying about the alternator and wound up spending a week here at the dock plugged in, as we were concerned about the battery bank. We spent too much time in the cockpit watching others arrive after us looking for some spot to anchor. Interesting how your idea of enough room varies inversely with the actual space available. There is quite a Canadian contingent here and most of those who aren't are not from the USA.

Moonlight Maid was kind enough to invite us over for painkillers so we have eventually rolled, or should I say rowed, home after a great evening with friends.

Comments