S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Schedule falling more and more into place

First full day at Deltaville and already it is beginning to feel familiar. I am starting the post at an earlier breakfast than I thought I would have since herself jumped out of the rack at 0500 to toddle off to have a shower. Can't say I blame her. After a couple of days at sea everyone starts to pong a bit. I will be having mine after the morning jolt of Java. Then it will be in to the office to register, get things started and check out a schedule. Moonlight Maid may not be here for as long as we will be depending on how soon the weather would let him get away. I also plotted a course to Norfolk to get timings etc. As it turns out we are about 45 nm from the anchorage at Hospital Point or a little further to the small marina just the other side of the exit to Dismal Swamp or a little further still to Great Bridge so our path is set.

I took Barb into the laundromat at an adjoining marina. That's the one thing that DYC is missing, a laundromat, but it has an arrangement with the Chesapeake Marina just down the road and they allow us to come in and clean our tidy whiteies there. I also went into the delightful little Cafe by the Sea and bought Barb and I a coffee and scone or muffin the help her while away the laundry time.

We were passing some time in the Marina office when we heard a MayDay call on the VHF, two in fact only one of them really was a MayDay. One boat had a fire aboard and the other had lost its dingy. Guess which one was the real MayDay.

Meanwhile during the day Big Tony and Little Tony were aboard, much to the continuing consternation of Periwinkle, giving Yoki Yanmar her 400 hr checkout. Of course she passed with flying colours. She got an oil and filter change as well as a small amount of rewriting so we no longer need a key to start her. We will still have the two switches for the two instrument panels but when we bring her back for her summer layup next spring we will get the yard to do some re wiring and convert that to only one active switch.

Next day now and the Tonys we back and fixing the blower for the engine compartment as well as the coolant cycle through the water heater for hot water. Looks like we might need a new blower and I am quite shocked to discover that the whole thing had been completely disconnected and had been for some time. Surprise surprise surprise! Turns out the blower is NS anyway so they had to order us a new one which should be here tomorrow.

On a less attractive note, my stomach has been set for the last couple of weeks so I have finally broken down and gotten an appointment with a doctor for tomorrow at 1500. That will give the marina time to get the new blower in. Then all that will be left is for them to adjust the shift linkage so that the transmission from neutral to forward without the initial shuddering that takes place presently.

The weather doesn't look favourable after today. In fact today would have been perfect for us to head on down to Norfolk and through into the ICW but it wasn't to be. The next that it looks safe to venture out will not be until Saturday unless the forecast changes significantly.

Comments