S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Arrival St Augustine

Friday afternoon and we are lying to a mooring in the downtown area of St Augustine. This is a fascinating and very popular place that I think both our kids would enjoy. I just wish that they were here with us.

We got away at 0730 this morning and set off down the ditch running Yuki at between 2000-2300 RPM and I was so very happy with her and annoyed at myself for not fixing the coupling bolt problem before it got as bad as it did and for using the wrong nature of bolts in the first place. There is no vibration whatever now other than The normal purr of the engine and. Most fascinating of all, our fuel consumption has gone back to what I had thought it was originally instead of twice as much. It was a lonely trip this morning with only the small runabout zooming out to go sport fishing and two motor yachts who passed us, oh, and one tug pushing a barge in the opposite direction.

Calm. Low winds. And a bit chilly for most of the morning.

When we arrived at St Augustine's we decided to stay for three nights and look around. We had only been here once before and we walked in from a marina in one of the adjacent creeks and then the heavens opened and it just poured rain! This time we are hoping for better weather and a change to lol around. We even got our own private air show as we cruised past the St Augustine airport with a bi-plane stunt pilot doing dives, rolls, stalls flips and I don't know what all you call to maneuvers for a good 45 minutes as we went past. Loads of fun to watch.

The marina at $20/night for the mooring is a good deal, I think. The filed south of the bridge was how they got rid of all the "remittance men" who were living in their derelict boats just off the town, hogging the best spots and slowing adding to the garbage they collect for on top and to the aquaculture project below the water line. As it is we got here in good time as tomorrow they close the Bridge of Lions Bridge for three or four days. At least now we are on the right side to continue south to Titusville as the weather is calling for a kick up offshore - again. A word to the wise though, the marina has good moorings but they have an intermediate system for the bridle. That is, there is a bridge from the mooring up about six feet to a good sturdy eye and you have to have your own line ready to feed through it. Poor old Barb was stuck with hanging on for dear life while I ran forward to rig something up as we picked it up.

Tomorrow we are going to be tourists and again the next day before on Monday we will continue south.

Comments