S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Arrival in the Bahamas

We are finally here in the clear turquoise waters, blindingly bright sandy beaches and warm friendly people - alongside at Weech's Dock in Alice Town in the Biminis. Customs and Immigration were in two separate spots just a wee hike down the road but everyone was constructive and friendly and we are all now legal including the little white dog. The only fly in the ointment was that when we came to look for our Bahamian curtesy flag it was nowhere to be found and we had another search through town to find a replacement to buy. But we did and now the Q flag is down and the courtesy flag is up. We want to clean out our bilges and the holding tank and this marina is only $0.85/ft so we are going to stay for two nights to get this done. Also, we bought a "burner" BTC phone so we can shut down the US phone and not incur roaming charges.

We left the mooring field in Diner Key at midnight and had a relatively uneventful crossing. The weather ranged from 5 knots out of the NW to 10-15 out of the NE but no seas to speak of, at least not from our experience. In fact the only hairy part of the trip was getting out of the Miami commercial channel which they were dredging and in which we nearly got run down by a barge who wasn't maintaining a radio watch or even, I suspect, a decent bridge watch. Anyway, enough of that. We are here. We are cleared in. And we are happy and that is all that really matters. There were several other boats who left today as well and are drifting into the marina as I thumb this.

We have a weak but free wifi signal here at the dock so I am going to post this post haste.

Comments