S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Scrambling, rowing and getting ready

Today will be a very full day indeed.

First, I have been bothered by the fact that our solar panels were not presenting as much charge to the batteries as they did originally so right after breakfast I began to look at the wiring and guess what? First thing I saw was that where all the ground wires joined the ground bus it was all the most lovely shade of corrosion blue. Clearly nature had its way with the wires and as everyone knows a poor ground results in an overall poor circuit. New connectors all round and now we wait to see if the rising sun will have a better effect on the batteries. It used to be that we could spend weeks on a mooring or at anchor with everything running and as long as the sun shone or wind blew we were fine.

I will also begin my search for a second hand or, if need be, a new motor to be a back up for Suki until we get her fixed. This might be a lot more challenging than you might expect for, as one of the local guys said, outboards get used hard until they get junked. Still, worth a try with a cry for help on the cruiser's net and a call to one of the local marinas. I am going to ask if anyone has a spare that they might consider lending if they don't want to sell it. The other thing that I'm going to ask on the net is what is anyone else's experience is with watermarking in the harbour.

Turns out there were a couple of kind folks who were prepared to give us rides ashore etc but no one had a used outboard for sale. However the Lighthouse Marina had a brand new Yamaha 2 hp 2 stroke for sale at $760 which we have snapped up to use while we are getting the Suzuki repaired, so we are going to do some banking, or rather the bank is going to give us some money to last us until our next pension cheque comes in and then back to the boat to wire up the water maker. Maybe even try it out. Hmmm!? Unfortunately the banking was only partially successful as I was unable to get more than $500 from them. So, tomorrow I will be on the early ferry into Marsh Harbour again to go to the RBC branch there to get money from the ATM and then back to Hope Town and to become the proud possessor of a new outboard. The outboard whisperer has still agreed to help out with the Suzuki and there is a dealer in MH where we could get parts if necessary.

This evening we have to be ashore at 1600 for a choir rehearsal after which at 1730 there will be a carolling through the town followed by a party at the lodge. We all have to bring flashlights to read the music by. Sound like it'll be fun. Apparently there are several stops en route for liquid fortification and the who thing ends at one of the major hotels in town with some final carols around their big Christmas Tree, hot chocolate(?), and cookies. If it is still as hot tonight as it has been today I might forgo the hot chocolate in favour of something cooler but I'll destroy a plate of tasties.

This place is really making me feel Christmassy even in 30 degree Celsius weather.

Comments