S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Moved to alongside

The business of wifi down here is so frustrating. The wide area stuff is expensive, weak, and notoriously unreliable. The "free" wifi offered at coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc. are jealously guarded and most do what everyone should do and change their passwords almost daily so you can't have a cuppa coffee one day and use their wifi the next. If we could rely on Bahamas Wifi or Out Island Internet I wouldn't mind paying them for the service but half the time their hotspot ain't so hot. Most of the free spots at bars etc are using local carriers and those just don't have much bandwidth. Just another argument in favour of taking a dock - regular daily showers, free reliable wifi, easy access to the shore etc. our friends Barry and Marcia have their wifi through their cable hookup which is much more reliable.

I tried to replace the lower unit lube on Yoshi but couldn't budge the two screws. I wanted to get the opinion of the outboard mechanic on the sudden revving of the engine when we got to half throttle and this was as good an excuse as any. They replaced the oil and the. Together we worked on the engine in the tank. Turns out Yoshi's shaft doesn't put a lot of itself into the water so as the dingy builds up speed the prop starts to cavitate. Nothing to be done other than experimenting with the angle of the motor on the transom.

We are also playing with the burner phone trying to add more money to it so we can continue to make calls. Ah, the life of the beach or boat bum! Not all sunshine, bare bums, and beaches I can assure you. Trying to do it on line was an exercise in frustration and futility so we ended up going in to one of those places in town that offers top up to your cell phones and were able to get $83 added which was all they had left. Apparently these stores are given a certain $ amount to sell as top up and when that is gone they too have to wait. We cleaned out the place of the last amount that they had left.

We also were informed today that a dock space is available so after choir practice we will be moving in alongside. Showers! Hot tub! Pool! Ahhhhh! There were all we had hoped that they'd be. Part of me feels like I have let the side down by succumbing to the siren call of comfort, showers, ease of walking the dog, etc. but another side of me says, what the hell? We are supposed to be relaxing and having fun aren't we? And the price here for a berth is not unreasonable. Hell, some places in NY State you'd pay twice as much for a mooring, and I speak from personal experience.

Comments