S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Two days in one

Sunday and Monday all in one simply because I thumbed in the wrong place and deleted my post before it made it to the site. What a numbskull!

The photo (right side up, thank heavens) is the sculpture at the centre of the bar at the marina.

Yesterday we sang in the choir in church which, as I have mentioned in previous posts, Barry make good fun. If any of you are planning a visit for a couple of weeks or more, singing in the choir is a great and enjoyable community participation. Even the sermons don't put you to sleep and don't scare the willies out of you either. And in this particular church, should you get really bored, the windows in the nape rather than being stained glass simply open up out onto a beautiful beach. Sometimes the sermon has to compete with bronzed bikini clad bodies strolling past.

We spent the noon hour or two in the pool and hot tub and trying to scrounge for tokens for the laundry machines. It is odd. People must collect them or something as they seem to disappear. They are oddly shaped but still, wash tokens?

Then, in the evening we went out for the dingy drift. This is where we all get out in the dingies and raft together and drift aimlessly about the harbour quaffing drinks and swapping snacks and hors d'ouvres. Good fun and we weren't really a hazard to navigation as every time one of the ferries came in someone would start up their outboard and coax the gaggle out of the way. There were all sorts of dingies represented from Boston Whalers to Zodiacs to little Walker Bays. Some had two occupants and some had five or six. By local accounts it was a disappointing turnout with only 25-35 dingies while in past years they have had as many as 50! Still, as drift virgins Barb and I thought it was great. One of the great dangers of this place is that it is simply all out too laid back. You are in severe danger of not wanting to do anything and not wanting to leave.

Today, Monday, dawned hot and sticky and we are off to Marsh Harbour for groceries, booze, and a couple of marine bits and pieces. It showered a little yesterday, enough to keep us scrambling to close the hatches just in time for the sun to break out but that did nothing to settle the humidity. Fortunately there is a little breeze which keeps things bearable and of course, there is the pool. Interesting pool, the pool. First the ocean is actually warmer. Not that the pool is cold, just by comparison. But also they have something in the water other than chlorine that really stings my eyes. I have swum in chlorinated pools before and the peepers were ok and it isn't as if the stinging is so much that you want to leap out of the water screaming, just enough to be uncomfortable. Maybe it's just me getting older. Who knows?

We took the marina launch across to the settlement. It's another of the services that you get when you come alongside. From there we climbed aboard the Marsh Harbour ferry for our shopping venture. A quick stop at the bank followed by trips to both the grocery and liquor stores and we were back at the ferry terminal waiting for our trip back. As a friend of our said, you can only take so much of the flesh pots of Marsh Harbour before you need to come back to Hope Town. Good thing that it's only a twenty minute ferry ride away though since it does act as a sort of commercial hub for most of the out islands - Green Turtle, Spanish, Guana, Elbow Cays all look to MH for groceries other than staples, cheaper booze, and parts and accessories. Back at the boat we put everything away, had a cuppa tea, and toddled off to the pool to cool off. It is really toasty, and humid, and just lovely when you think of snow and cold back home. We can even go to the marina bar and have a froo-froo drink, which we did. It is insidious and we will have to discipline ourselves to stop doing it.

Comments