S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Windy blustery day.

The weather is going to be a little blue for the next couple of days so we are a little nervous about Chris's flights and I have to keep reminding myself that aircraft in flight are creating much more than a 25mph wind around them. Granted at landing it can make it a little more challenging but hey, fingers crossed. For a short while during the day it almost appeared that most of it was going to pass us by, but nope, shortly after lunch hour the skies clouded over again and the wind freshened. As I said, fingers crossed. (Phot is of Nelleke at the dock)

Ran the water maker again this morning to refill the water jugs. One of those things that once you begin to run it you have to do it every couple of days to keep the biologicals from forming on the membrane. Not having to pay for water is a side benefit. Long time cruisers in the harbour who have been making water for years here advise us to do so only on a rising tide to you get the mostly newer water coming in to the harbour. Speaking of which, I have levelled out the intermediate tank and reinstalled and connected it again. Perhaps tomorrow we will make some more water and try filling it up. It hold about 20 gallons so it'll take 3-4 hours of operation. There are still one or two smaller and less ominous jobs I need to do with the water maker: I need to hook the electric pump from the intermediate tank to the boats main water tanks up to the power board; 2. I would like to run the output from the intermediate tank directly to the deck fill standpipe; and 3. I need to reconnect the bilge pump that somehow got its auto circuitry disconnected once again (sheesh, sigh!).

At the après race standup last night we volunteered to be a committee boat for future races. It seems that they will occasionally have a last minute cancellation caused by illness or injury and they can be stuck. Speaking of stuck, they are also looking for a committee boat that can be into and out of the harbour at most if not all points of tide.

Last night I also became reacquainted with an antique way of getting access to the Internet in a place where there is limited bandwidth - do your postings at 0300! There is no one else trying to do their stuff at the same time! If they had fibre optics and or broader bandwidth it wouldn't be an issue but as it is it is like we are back to 15 years ago at home. We have discovered that there is a satellite tv antenna mounted on the dock right next to us so I am going to find out if we can get a receiver and how much it would cost. It would be kind of nice to be able to watch tv occasionally and perhaps even to have wifi through it.

The crew from Scaramouce made a really great suggestion, namely that we use a snatch block and a spare line to the shore so that we can winch ourselves in when we want to go to shore and the wind happens to be blowing us off the dock. That was hooked up very quickly I can assure you and it works a treat.

We need a quick trip into the settlement today for a variety of reasons, buying some milk and bread but also to file a police report pertaining to an incident during one of our dog walks a few days ago. There is quite a bit of drama in and around the development of this Inn and Marina. First one fellow bought one of two sites on this side of the harbour and began construction. He then bought out the other guy and proceeded to try to buy the rest of the property between the harbour and the beach on the Sea of Abaco on the other side. For the most part he was successful because he was offering fair current market value for the property which by our standards is still a whack of a lot of money, but there are one or two people who saw $$ in the offing and demanded two, three and in one case four times the value. The developer, quite rightly in my opinion, said, the heck with you, and simply planned and built his resort around the hold outs. One guy was so incensed about this that he put a bunch of half wild dogs in the basement and yard of his property and encouraged them to snarl and bark at anyone passing by. Since the passers by were for the most part guests at the Inn and Marina his obvious desire was to intimidate the visitors and have a negative impact on the marina business. A couple of days ago, one of these dogs got out of the fence and attacked Peri. When I chased him off he snarled and growled at me! Suffice to say when we go for walks now I carry my walking stick and I must admit that I am hoping that thing gets out again so I can teach him control that his owner clearly isn't. When we told some of the other people at the marina about this they encouraged us to file a police report which was the other mission for our trip to shore today. There is now an official complaint on file with the town constable.

Comments