S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Waitin' for Chris

Aw crap in a breadbasket. The weather forecast doesn't look good for Chris's visit. By all accounts it will be rain for most of it. Rats! Big hairy snuffing RATS! There go a lot of the planned out door activities. I have been looking at several of the available weather services hoping for better news, rather like the old dear in front of you at the ATM who keeps pumping her card back into the machine and re-entering here password hoping for a different result, but still, each and every time - insufficient funds, only in our case it is always strong winds, cloudy, rain and in some cases a chance of thundershowers. I gotta stop wishing for rain for our friends ashore with cisterns or we'll all float away.

Sigh!

Oh well. It will be great to visit with him. There will be some shopping and a museum to visit and perhaps we will be able to go to a restaurant or two. As long as he gets here safely.

A few more chores today before he arrives, if we get a chance with the right tide we will fill the water tank, wire up the mini pump from the intermediate tank to the main one and take some measurements for the little shadow lax that I have planned that will allow me to access the water maker plumbing switches. Perhaps in the crappy weather I will get Chris to help me with the Suzuki. Who knows. Maybe between the two of us we can take the head off, repair the shift and get it all back together without losing or forgetting any parts.

Yesterday I help Will out a little bit working on an old wooden hulled dingy. At one time I swore that I would never do anything on a wooden boat ever again, but 9' long wasn't to bad and I had fun at a king it with the orbital sander. Someone previously had used the chemical caulking compound almost as a filler putty which made the surface very uneven and which wouldn't hold the bottom paint. Sanding that off was murder so Will resorted to scraping and another fellow brought a kind of metal disk for the sander which was very effective on the wood and paint.

It's a good thing that I get up during the night to check out the lines etc otherwise I swear I'd never get anything posted the Internet bandwidth is so narrow and when daylight comes and everyone scrambles for the few available cycles then everything just shuts down. We can waddle over to the marina office where the access seems to be better but it does take the spontaneity out of it.

We will be posting early today to be able to spend the time getting ready for Chris should should be starting his trip from Barrie to Toronto where he will catch a Westjet charter to Nasau at which point there will be a mad dash to the BahamaAir puddle jumper which will carry him to Marsh Harbour, hopefully in time for the last ferry.

Comments