S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Rake and scrape

Another day of blustery winds but today with clear skies at least.

We took Chris on what they call the North walk, about a two mile hike through and past some really attractive seaside properties. We looked at a couple of them for sale and played "if only" games - if only we had a million dollars, if only they didn't cost so much, etc.

We came back and went grocery shopping to get some juice and bread and stopped at Munchies 'cause Chris had the munchies. When we got back to the boat we paid a short trip to the pool and hot tub and then went over to the bar to listen to a rake and scrape band. Anyone know what that is? I sure didn't. Turns out its a bunch of guys with recordings that they play behind them while they provide percussion on musical saws, large cans with hole cut in them, cow bells, etc and shout, "Oooooo yeah!" on a regular basis. When you describe it like that it sounds kinda hokey, but in person it is really great fun. Barb and I were even inspired to get up and dance.

Chris has made friends with a couple of guys over here in a 54' sport fisherman who are going to take us out tomorrow morning to go fishing. I have never been deep sea fishing in a boat with a fighting chair et al so we are quite looking forward to it.

This evening we went with the fishing boat crew over to Captain Jack's a bar/restaurant that on Monday nights does a bingo game only instead of bingo it's called jacks. I came so close to winning one of the games I could almost taste it but when I was still one number off, three other people called winning cards. I would have been the fourth so the prize would have been split four ways rather than three. The bingo is essentially a 50/50 charity fundraiser.

Comments