S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Cooking for the fish fry

The morning after the Super Bowl is one at which we have to confess that we didn't last past half time of the game. Katie Perry just isn't our thing so the half time show was shaping up to be one big yawn for us so just as we were drifting off we came back to the boat to watch a movie. Got the results on the wifi just before we went to bed. Looks like it was a close game.

Today we are preparing for the big fish fry that Natural Magic is putting on at the pool deck. Our contribution will be a Mac n' cheese. It's Barb's mom's recipe originally but we have perfected it if I do say so myself. Down here in the Bahamas they do a really good one as a general side dish as well so we will have to pull our socks up.

To pursue the topic of the upcoming cruise I spoke about in the blog yesterday I am really getting keyed up about it. Barry has identified several anchorages along the way that are about 6 miles apart and the plan is to hit every second one on the way south to make for 12 mile days and pick up the others on the way north again. Of course each could be a weather alternative to the other as well. Those spots are Royal Island in the Eleutheras, Allen or Leaf Cays, Norman's Cay, Hawksbill, Cambridge, Pipe, and Staniel Cays in the Exumas just to name a few. If we can visit even half of them I will be a happy puppy for this cruise.

This morning we launched off into town to buy some fixings for the Mac n' cheese that we will be making for dinner tonight and to pay for the rental tank and get the tanks filled. Turns out that our tanks need a hydro and VIP but the dive store looked at them and kindly decided to fill them anyway. Thanks to them, the nameless dive shop. Unfortunately the power failure has knocked out their compressor so I will have to wait until tomorrow or the next day to get the tanks back. I did come to the realization that I can't use the hooka system to dive for lobster. Apparently only Bahamians with a special permit can do that, so I will be free diving on the snorkel for that chore. I'd be happy to just find some. The main problem is that most of the places that Barry has chosen for us to visit are in the park system and I can't take lobster conchs or anything else either on hooka or free diving.

Late breaking news. We have decided to do a coleslaw instead of the Mac n' cheese. It will be a cooler dish for a "warmish" day. Looking forward to feeding our faces at the fry up.

One down side, if you can call it that, of our part of the marina is that we are not on the generator, so when the power goes down, which happens once a week like today, we go on batteries. This isn't the end of the world except for the small fact that unless you watch the shore power meter you often don't realize it until you try to plug something into a wall socket and notice that there isn't any 120AC. It was off from 1000 to around 1530 all over town. There was speculation as to the cause but nothing definitive.

Ah well.

More tomorrow.

Comments