S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Rainy day

Today we did a shore visit with Finn MacCool, after a transfer of frozen fish, then coffee at the Hopetown Coffee House, then a quick trip to the grocery shop, a visit to the Hummingbird Art Gallery, and one or two other small points.

I did have a chat with the marina manager today and it seems that there has been a misunderstanding all round about the marina charges. I had thought that we would get the winter rate through to and including the month of March but it seems that the rates go up to $1/ft on March 1. For long term guests like ourselves they do a reduction to $0.75/ft but that's it. For us that would double the price. So, it would seem that when we come back from out trip to the Exumas we will be going out on a mooring or perhaps even just toddling around the other communities in the Abacos. Actually we could also extend our stay in the Exumas as well. All I need to do is make an appointment for the haulout in Indiantown marina and plan our voyages based on that. We have had a great stay here at the Hopetown Marina so we would prefer not to sully the end of it with anything as crass as an argument over money.

Our trip ashore was cut damply short when, as we were heading for the Art Gallery, we had a sideways look at the sky and thought, "Oh, oh!", and we had a quick scamper back to the boat and as quick a trip as the little Yamaha could muster back across the harbour. En route we felt a change in the air, a shift in the wind direction and when we were within 300 meters of our transom the heavens opened and the deluge began. The good news is that a cold front has a squall and a relatively short time of rain, but in that time she did come down. We got aboard and below and out of our drenched clothes. For one all too brief a time my fantasies were realized with Barb and I wandering about the boat in our birthday suits. Sadly, in all to brief an instance, Barb realized her state of undress and pulled on some more clothing. Sigh! I am thumbing this portion of today's post from the cabin listening to the pitter pat of the rain on the roof and waiting for the power to go out.

Well. The first pass of the storm has gone by and no power outage. In case it rains again tonight we will be leaving Nelleke buttoned up and the water standpipe open so we can collect rainwater is it does rain. Right now it is really calm. Almost eerily so. Calm before the storm sort of thing.

From Barb - Fun news received from KT this evening - she has been watching The Book of Negroes on CBC and has finally seen Mike on the screen - we can't pull in the broadcasts from CBC so she took a video of the few minutes when Mike was on screen slightly behind the leading lady - he was worried that he might have ended pun the cutting room floor - not so - about five seconds on screen so far - fun!

Comments