S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Saturday

New news. It seems that there has been a change in heart aboard Natural Magic and they won't be in the flotilla heading south next week. Shame as they are nice folks, but weather dependant we are still going.

Last night was a bit of a social whirl. Starting with an early walk for Peri, we then went across the harbour for choir practice, from where we went to Wine Down Sip Sip for their happy hour and then from there we went out to Finn MacCool for dinner. The Happy Hour was a little late getting started so we really didn't get totally into it, not like some of the other tables of alcoholic octogenarians who were really whooping it up. I get the impression that it is a regular thing for some of them. One of them is a dear old gal named Dianna who sold us On becoming members of a drinking club called SOTs. Apparently you get a discount at the local liquor store and here at Wine Wine Sip Sip and it only costs $5 per membership. The money goes to the local humane centre. It's almost worth it just for the card. We are now official SOTs. How's that for closing the door after the horse has bolted? This place is run by the daughter of the couple that have Vernon's grocery store here in town. She is a nice lady but the Bahamian attitude towards business is not good for business. We sat at our table for fifteen minutes and then finally went up to the bar to get served. Regardless, I think it's our kind of place. Folks of all ages who like to socialize with a few drinks but without loud music and shouts and screams.

Dinner aboard Finn MacCool was really excellent - curried chicken on a bed of rice preceded by a fresh spinach salad. Yumm! One of the highlights of the evening was being introduced to a sort of game called Mexican Train Dominos. I can't begin to explain the game much less the rules here, but, suffice to say we will be buying our set of the "bones" when we get home.

This morning we went ashore to do the trek around the North island loop with Vince and had a chance to chat with Marcia as she sat out on her deck at SeaLeggs. I had been looking at the weather forecast and Friday doesn't look like a good day to set off but Barry had revised his departure timings to a Wednesday afternoon departure for Cherokee Settlement, a Thursday run to Royal Island in the Elutheras, and then a quick Friday morning jump to stay at a marina in one of the Exumas Cays while the blow passes over. We are doing our best to try to get Finn MacCool to come with us and the stumbling block is internet connection. They need the connection so that they can continue to do their work from the boat while underway. Barry and Marcia will have to convince them that there is cell coverage and I will have to show them how to set up their phone as a wifi hotspot. We'll see how persuasive we can be.

We will be banking on Tuesday and I will take Barb out for an early Valentine's Day dinner at Firefly. The forecast if for rain Tuesday morning so if it doesn't let up we may be having our dinner later down in the Exumas.

Comments