S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Monday, Monday.

I have been inspired!

We went to a film showing about a little school in Marsh Harbour called Every Child Counts for children with a variety of learning disabilities that has ben set up on a wish and a prayer several years ago and is running under the guidance of volunteers and private donations. I think when we come back next year we might see if there is anything that we can do to help them out. We don't have much money but we do have skills and are both experienced instructors. We'll have to check it out next year.

We are also further inspired and getting pumped about the upcoming cruise. Wednesday is almost definitely the day for departure, but further into the week it looks like we will be possibly dancing to decide if we stay in the Elutheras for the next cold front or make for Highborne Cay. The problem with Highborne Cay is that the anchorage is more exposed and the marina wants $2.44/ft for dockage. No way I'm paying that if I can avoid it. That's more than we paid to stay alongside in NY! I am really beginning to hope that Congress agrees to open up Cuba and the American tourist learns what the rest of the world, including Canada, has known for years that Cuba is an inexpensive, safe and friendly place to spend your vacation dollars in. Then perhaps they will realize that they have to be competitive and not just charge what they think they can get for an item or product. Anyway, we have choices for spots to stop and we will be executing them.

Also it looks like neither Finn MacCool nor Natural Magic will be joining us on this leg of the cruise but a 51' shallow draft cutter by the name of Dragon could be. We had drinks aboard last night and what a beaut! They have friends visiting who will be heading south to the Exumas with them and the timing just happens to fit. The only decision to make now is departure Wednesday or Thursday. I think that we will be going Wednesday for sure, based on the weather which will give us a nice sail on Thursday to Royal Island and a brief putt to Spanish wells for Friday PM and Saturday which is forecast for a good blow. We'll see what the other folks are going to do. The skipper of Dragon was talking yesterday about leaving today but if he does the wind will be directly on the nose so he'll be beating into it. Plus we need to get some money from the bank and a couple more grocery items before departure. We will be having an AM meeting at SeaLeggs to make a final decision.

Aaron, the manager here has told me that he is pretty confident that they can rent out our berth as soon as it is vacated so we might be excused part of February's dock fee and all of March.

Yippie!

That means a couple of days on a mooring when we come back first week in March and then a leisurely poke along up the Sea of Abaco and over to West End to await a window to cross over to Florida. They are expecting us at Indian Town so all that would remain once we get there is to prep the boat with a new undercoating and cover it with tarps, and to rent a van for a trip to Durham NC where we will link up with our friends Peter and Lynn to coordinate a convoy back.

Comments