S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back to Spanish Wells

Day 10, last day Exuma Cruise

Back to Spanish Wells

Ahh! The safe secure feeling of a good anchor set. There's nothing like it! Last night the wind continued mostly out of the east and we remained secure in the lee of Robert's Cay. I checked our relative bearings several times during the night both visually, which I could do as the moon was so bright, and electronically against a mark that I had put in the chart plotter and we didn't budge.

We were up at 04h30 for a first light departure so we could do first parade, adjust the depth sounder, have breakfast and weigh anchor and get away as soon as there was light enough to see the coral heads which was about 06h00. Mr Boxed In managed to get out under sail without colliding with anyone so I guess he could see us and he actually was either competent or lucky.

The joys of cruising life and our plans are carved in jello. Last night Barb and I had a chat and came to the conclusion that perhaps we shouldn't be so eager to launch straight off for Florida as we have been talking. We don't want to be travelling home until some time in April because we would like spring to have arrived by the time we get there, plus there are still some parts of the Abacos that we would like to see. On one hand it is cheaper to travel through Florida vis a vis fuel and not having to pay for water, but by the same token we can work harder at not staying at marinas or on moorings. So we have decided to leave it to nature to make the call for us. We will literally go where the winds blow us. If the winds are suitable we will head back into the Abacos and visit places like Treasure Cay, the Marsh Harbour anchorage, Guana Cay and such and go back to the Lake Worth Inlet by way of West End. If not we can go through the Berrys, Bimini and over again to Lake Worth. At any rate I am inclined to stay one night at the marina in Spanish Wells and depart for Royal Island before noon to cut down the trip a bit the following day. Besides, we haven't been ashore at Royal for an explore yet and if we go to arrive in the early afternoon we would be able to do so. Anyhoo!

After a day's motor sail.....why motor sail you ask?.....well comme habitude as we say in French, the wind was pretty much on the nose....anyway, we managed to average 6.5 knots and after a 06h00 start we got into Spanish Wells at 14h00, time for banking and grocery shopping. We bought out the local supply of Ricardo Gold for self consumption and for gifts to folks back home.

As for the trip itself we basically followed the wavy line on the charts but holy doodles that takes you over some skinny bits. Add to that the frequent coral head lifting the bottom another three feet and you have to stay sharp.

Now that we have cruised the upper half of the Exumas what are our thoughts? Well, there is no doubt but that the waters are warmer, clearer, and seem to have more than their share of bright beautiful colourful fish. It is also much less developed than the rest of the Bahamas. Black Point Settlement which is touted as second only to Georgetown in the Exumas, while a great spot, in fact our favourite on this trip, it still is pretty barren. The folks there need a break. Plus the more developed spots such as Highbourne and Staniel Cays are way, way, way, did I say way?, overpriced, particularly when you compare them to places like Black Point Settlement in the Exumas of a number of spots in the Abacos. We will go back if only to explore the southern half of the Exumas, the rest of Eluthera and Andros. We will also make a point of stopping again at Black Point Settlement and at Wardrick Wells. As for the other places it will depend if we have guests. Staniel Cay is great to visit if you anchor or pick up one of the moorings and snorkel at Thunderball Grotto, but that's it.

Now we have to decide what we are going to do next. Since we are seriously thinking of going to Cuba next year, I am starting to think that we should go back to the Abacos and check over some of the places that we enjoyed or haven't been to yet. So, weather permitting that will be what we do.

Comments