S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

From Spanish Wells through the backbone to Hope Town

We are starting to make preparations for traveling back to the US, for instance we have reactivated the Verizon cell phone which will be handy as we will no longer have to worry about wifi hotspots once we start to use it again.

We put the water maker through its paces yesterday filling all our drinking water containers and putting a bunch into Nelleke's tanks as well. As I said, an expensive but worthwhile lesson learned.

Having traveled down through the northern part of the Exumas I can honestly say that I was mistaken about the Spanish Wells Yacht Haven. Yes all the faults that I mentioned are there - no showers (they work now on our second visit), no potable water (that isn't their fault, the entire town water supply needs an overhaul), but the price that I was complaining about earlier is nothing like the foolishness in the northern Exumas. Highborne Cay and Staniel Cay both want $2.50/ft and although there are the amenities at Highborne you will pay more for them again and an exorbitant amount at that $15/100MBytes for wifi for instance, whereas here in Spanish Wells the charge is $5/day, period. Still wish they had a weekly rate for longer term stays that aren't as long as the month that they presently have, but regardless, we have enjoyed our stay and the town is wonderful and the absolute strength of the facility is the staff. We will visit again if our plans allow for it. It really is a great spot to jump into the Exumas if you are coming from the Abacos. Of course if you go through Nassau and New Providence there is no point in coming here as it would mean traveling north again.

Yesterday we began to make plans for a visit to Hope Town for a couple of days to say a bientot to Barry and Marcia and hopefully to say hi again to Jim and Wendy aboard Patty Jean. Dinner this Friday night seems to be in the offing.

This morning we were up before six to give Peri a chance to ease springs and for us to have a bite of breakfast before the pilot showed up to take us out. When the pilot came he took us out right on the course that I would have thought based on the chart. This is a real con. I guess if your GPS craps out they pay for themselves but jeez! To listen to these guys if you don't use them every time you are taking your lives in your hands.

Anyway, by 17h00 we were back in Hopetown on a mooring and definitely the summer season is in full swing. Every mooring is full and very dock space is occupied. We had an evening with Jim and Wendy from Patty Jean along with a couple of their friends. Good times. Many beers, some spicy chicken wings and pizza. Yumm!

Comments