S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

We're about ready.....just waiting.......

Let's see now. Our road trip itinerary has us traveling from Indiantown to the Jacksonville area then to Atlanta in Georgia and then to South Carolina and then to Durham NC. Once we leave there we will head for Richmond VA to visit some friends there and then off to Ottawa if we can make it. We are hoping to get back to Halifax before daughter Kayte takes off for her time in the sun in Cuba from 1-7 April. We are expecting a full report from her about the place.

For us we are hoping to take advantage of the US Military recreational facility organization that has marinas, campgrounds, and hotels across the country, indeed across the world, for the use of military members. Often they will extend these privileges to members, both serving and retired, of allied forces. We have stayed at several places from Norfolk to Key West in the past and have single out two or three options in each place that we are looking at stopping during our road trip. The plan is for Barb to start to phone them as we get underway each day and then, if we get a reservation, we can start to look around in the area for sights to see or things to do. If we can't get into one of those spots we will look for an economy motel and book into one of those. The big thing is we need pet friendly and most of the military places are not that As a last resort we can simply pull over in a rest stop and catch some winks but that is something that I'd prefer to do on those trips where we are pushing a schedule and are trying to make time and will only be sleeping for a couple of hours. This won't be one of those as we will be taking three days to do a ten hour trip. Much more relaxing, I hope. Once we have our visit with our friends in Richmond, if that is still possible, as we haven't been able to confirm that it's convenient with them, from that point onward we may be back in push mode.

Today was a short work day. Changed the oil in the Suzuki outboard in preparation with laying her up for the summer. It looks like we will be taking the Yamaha home with us as there has been no interest from anyone local in buying it here. We have discussed the haul out with the marina staff and it looks like we will be coming out stern first and they will let me on and off the boat while they are washing her. So once we are over land I will come aboard and make sure that all of the cupboard door are still propped open and the moisture remover devices are in place. We will also remove the garboard plug and put it in one of the drawers and lock the companionway. After that we don't really need to be here and, in fact, I would prefer not to be as it only worries me when they are moving Nelleke around through the air.

We are steadily eating our way through the food in the fridge and freezer, and have decided to leave the freezer on the boat and get a cheap styrofoam cooler to keep charged with ice to bring any leftovers along on the road trip with us.

Not much more to say for today other than play the waiting game for Wednesday to get the van and have our local boater interview with the customs people and then load the van, and Thursday to finish loading and haul out.

Twitchy twitchy.

Comments