S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Nelleke on the hard and we're off!

I'll be blogging in two parts today. The first bright and early in the wee dark hours of the morning before we get hauled and secondly after we arrive in Daytona.

We arose at 0630 to bang down a cup of coffee and get the final things jammed into the minivan. We got an email from our friend Peter confirming our arrival in Durham on the 23rd and also that he has rented a larger van for the continuing trip onward to Shelburne. That will allow us some wiggle room and put some of their stuff aboard as well.

First step today was to come alongside of the prep dock and get the holding tank pumped out and rinsed. Then we were hauled out and I must say that I am really impressed with the yard staff at Indiantown. We were up, pressure washed, out and over to our spot in a jiffy. Then set down on blocks and twelve jacks......twelve! I guess that's easy for them since they have literally hundreds if not thousands of them scattered about in the yard. Then we put four ratchet tie downs on her each one attached to a corner of the boat which are intended to be a safety factor against strong winds. Nelleke is in good hands.

Then we were off on the start of the road trip with a first stop at the outskirts of Daytona. We are staying at inexpensive dog friendly hotels so Peri doesn't have to be relegated to the van for overnight. Tonight it is La Quinta and although it is a little tired, the place is comfortable, has functioning AC, no mosquitoes and tomorrow morning we will get breakfast as part of the room rate. The restaurant that is attached to the place is called Wing House and as far as we could see the main attraction is scantily clad waitresses. Needless to say Barb wasn't interested so we went to Red Lobster instead.

Sigh.

I would have liked to get the adrenalin flowing, although I am rather tired.

Perhaps it's for the best.

Comments