S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Back home at last.

My apologies for yesterday's dud of a post but as I had been driving from 0600 until 1830 I was more that a little brain dead.

We got in to Kayte's apartment and had an all too abbreviated visit from my perspective, a dinner and then a crash into bed. Barb stayed up a little later to shore up the home team's socialization reputation but even she has to hit the hay early.

The drive yesterday was nothing like the one the day before as we had gone through the really horrible stuff already. The same can't be said for air travel as an Air Canada jet from Toronto had a very rough landing in the storm having hit a power line in the blizzard and bouncing into the runway. No one killed but 20+ injuries, fortunately.

We spent the first part of the AM wondering if our friend Murray was going to be able to drive down to pick our stuff up after all. The storm didn't put too much snow on the ground, maybe an inch, but added to all the accumulated crap from other storms it made for some really bad driving yesterday. A city bus got well and truly stuck on the road outside Kayte's apartment and there were a half dozen idiots in cars jammed right on his tail so he had no maneuverability at all. Sometimes I despair, much the same feeling as I had diving through NYC and some of the crappy drivers there.

Ah well. At least we're back.

We met Murray and Cindy at around 1030 and by 1130 we have returned the van and we're back in their car and heading for home. Well, no we weren't. We had to stop at a couple of places first to buy some necessities to kick start us at home. Here we are not even the 1st of the month and we are already deficit spending.

We got home by 1330 and were unloaded by 1630. A few small immediate tasks to get the water run it again and to ensure that the house was heated and we were ready for habitation. Murray and Cindy have been kind enough to prepare a beef dip for us to share for dinner to save us the trouble of having to cook for ourselves after our trip. We are having problems getting the water heater on line again but that will be a job for tomorrow.

Interesting to see the place. Clearly the province and the town have had a hard winter. There is still a foot of snow on the ground and the roads are in terrible shape, but you can see that the melt has begun. Still a big change from the Bahamas.

Comments