S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

The Boat

NELLEKE is a 1980 Moody PH Ketch. Designed by the late Angus Primrose and built and launched in Southhampton, UK.

We are the third family to own her. The first owner we never met, but was British and, judging from the courtest flags left aboard, he sailed her across the English Channel and through Belgium and France, before heading south to Portugal and Spain. After 3 short years he sold her to a Canadian, Mr Don Fergusson who brought her over to Halifax and siled her off the coast of Nova Scotia for 18 years. When he and his wife decided to stick to "fifth-wheel" traveling he sold her to us. She has been part of the family and a major factor in all of our plans for the last 6 years.

If you look at the photos, you will see that she is heavily built, and, further, if you look at the floor plan you will also see that her interior is very well laid out with three sleeping cabins, a galley, a living area and an inside steering station.

He external rigging is ketch with independently stayed main and mizzens.

Her sail inventory at present consists of:

1. Head Sails;

#1 170% Genoa
#2 150% Genoa
#3 100% Working Jib
#4 Heavy Weather Jib
Storm Jib

2. Full Battened Mainsail
Storm Trysail

3. Mizzen

In addition we are looking to aquire:

4. Mizzen Staysail

5. Asymetrical Spinnaker.

Since we aquired NELLEKE we have:

1. Rewired the electrics

2. Added solar pannels

3. Added a wind generator

4. Added a new house bank

5. Added a freezer

6. Added a liferaft

.......to name a few of the major ones.

Some of the minor modifications include:

1. A continuous running preventor for the main

2. A traveler for the mizzen sheet block

3. A jackline

4. A bimini

5. A deck lazarrette on the fordeck

6. Davits to secure the kayak on the cabin roof

7. A second headstay halyard

8. A wisker pole to augment the spinnaker pole

9. Mizzen boom preventor

10. Mast steps, and dozens more

We are powered by a 65hp Perkins diesel and have a 8.5KW 12hp Kubota deisel generator. To supply this with go-juice we have a 90 gallon fuel tank.

We carry 2 x 35lb propane tanks for the galley stove and cabin heaters. More than enough for a year at sea.

We have hot and cold pressurized water with 120 gal water tank.

We can communicate on VHF and SSB as well as cellular telephone. We also have an AIS receiver. One day when we win the lottery we'll add sat-comms to the list.

We carry 2 GPS units and link them to the on-board computer that runs "the Capt'n" for charting.

We have added a small chest freezer to augment our supply of fresh food and we have a small garden box to grow fresh herbs while en route


Comments