S/V NELLEKE

The ship's blog for SV Nelleke out of Shelburne, NS

Hurricane Prep

We got home in time to prepare for Dorian.

I must admit that I have had my fingers crossed that it would veer off and head out to sea but so far no such luck. It is still 72 hours away so we won’t know for sure until it comes past Cape Cod.

In the meanwhile we have gotten Nelleke all buttoned up for a potential Cat 1 and will be taking her out to a mooring tomorrow during the day. We could stay on the dock but we have had a bad experience we just a storm at the dock in Oriental so I think both I and Nelleke will be happier out on a mooring. As of right now the forecasts are for winds to be out of the east and backing around to the nor-west so there will be little or no fetch so all we will be dealing with will be the wind, very little sea. We have done all we can to prepare the house and our vehicles for the storm too. Lots of water, the generator off the boat and by our back door for when, not if, the power goes off, our cooking to be done on an induction hot plate and the portapottie in from the campervan so we’ll have a toilet that won’t need water. Our limited experience with hurricanes was with Hurricanes Juan and at that time when the power went off it was off for weeks.

Comments